Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas hike

In the still of the dawn each Christmas morning, I venture to the forest to breathe in God’s blessings. I sense the spirit of the Lord upon me. It is a feeling of peace; a feeling that God is with me as I journey on this day of our Lord’s birth.

There is nothing quite like this annual hiking ritual. It is deep within nature that grace opens the door to God’s strength and glory. Though I hike a lot, this day is different. My senses are overwhelmed with Christmas hope. Jesus is born, Hallelujah!

All my life, my affinity for snow has awakened deep joy within my soul. When the flakes arrive on Christmas morn, it not only affirms my kinship with nature, it nurtures my kinship with God. I bundle up, head for a favorite spot and take in the splendor. Here are some of my favorite memories:

On this day, all nature proclaims God’s presence as I surrender myself to the beauty. God’s soothing breath gusts through the towering pines. Branches, heavy with snow, bow to their Creator.

The early morning songbirds wake up the world, triumphantly declaring that our Savior is born.  

The elusive Pileated Woodpecker thunders to a beat like no other on Earth. Its majesty echoes through the pines. I feel God intimately.

A lone deer, normally camouflaged by God’s intentional paint strokes, quietly burrows its snout through the drifts that cover and protect its precious nutrition. Its instincts are in perfect tune with the universe.

The pristine lake glistens as the snow blankets its shining surface. The art of God is awesome. I watch in wonder.

The Bald Eagle hovers over open water, eyes keenly trained on the blessed dinner below. Time stands still. So perfectly designed is God’s creation.

The snow calls me to fall to the ground and look to the heavens. I flail my arms to create a snow angel. How appropriate! I linger in its snowy frame, feeling only warmth. I am so thankful.

I shake myself off, and with gratitude swelling in my soul, I travel toward home, anticipating the day of family and fun, worship and warmth…and hope…always hope. All Earth is Hopeful.

Jules Irish is a retired writer and public relations professional and happy St. Paul Lutheran Church volunteer.