Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Colorfully celebrated

I happen to be one of those fortunate persons who grew up going to church every Sunday. I have my parents and grandparents to thank for that. I suppose a person could say that I haven’t experienced much Sunday morning diversity. I’m not too bothered about that, and am proud to call St. Paul my church home since my baptism as a one-month-old.

Being part of a faith community inspires me and helps me to think of others, especially during the Advent and Christmas seasons.  This is the season of goodwilI, God with us, of generosity and love for all people. I see folks standing out in the cold ringing bells for good causes, children lining up and singing what are new songs to them during pageant and choir rehearsals. I am favored with countless goodies on large trays and platters, and am uplifted as the organ pipes blow on cold Sunday mornings. It’s really a great season, and I have yet to tire of hearing dozens of arrangements of O Come, O Come, Emmanuel.

Human beings, as dynamic as we are, find ways to smile and to care for one another, even in what seem like hopeless situations. We hear every day about those who are bent on destroying rather than building up or loving others, yet stories of hope and survival emerge. I know groups of people who don’t have access to health care, nutritious food or clean water, yet births and holidays are colorfully celebrated. I am at awe at how much joy is shared amid the most challenging living conditions.

So the Advent season for me is a season of hope and belief, to be shared with others, and positioned right smack in the midst of a whirlwind of living in this world of change, need, and heavy doses of reality.

Glory be to God, for God is among and with us. And blessed be those who know their need for God.

Todd Byerly is the operations director at St. Paul Lutheran and the vice president of the board of Empower Tanzania.