Thursday, December 4, 2014

HOPE

Some weeks ago, Pastor Sara talked to us about the word LOVE - how freely it is used and how it is the command God gave us, to love God and our neighbors as ourselves.

When I was asked to contribute my thoughts toward the Advent theme of All Earth is Hopeful, I contemplated the word HOPE. Like love, it also can be used lightly: "I hope I pass my math test" or "I hope they hire me" or "I hope it doesn't rain on our special day" and on and on, in words of personal desire.

For my own life, I remember my own days of despair during this very season of Advent two years ago. I remember fervently praying that God would give me the strength and ability to care for my husband Jack after we were told there was no cure for his disease.

God did not disappoint. I put my faith and trust in God and God comforted me with HOPE. I received hope in the form of support from family and friends with thoughtful notes and loving visitors.

Over and over again in Scripture, the Lord gives grace and promise to God's people in times of discouragement, even fear. When I contemplate the hopefulness our world needs today, it seems we have to trust the tomorrows we cannot see. The faith of all humanity depends upon HOPE in the true sense of the word. We cannot live without it.

As Christians we believe we have been given great HOPE through the birth and death of our Savior. I cannot help but hum the words of great hymns. "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' love and righteousness," and fromComfort, Comfort Now my People, "All flesh shall see the token that God's word is never broken."                 

St. Paul is Gwen Korn's lifetime church and second home. She has been a daughter and wife, and remains a mother and a grandmother.