Monday, December 22, 2014

Mindful

I teach mindfulness techniques to my clients, encouraging them to slow down and take notice in the here and now. These skills can help them pay attention and gain an appreciation of life, utilizing their senses of sight, sound, smell, touch, and taste. They often tell me that they feel like a new person and more alive.

All too often, we operate on auto pilot and take much for granted in our busy lives. Have you ever driven a familiar route only to wonder how you got there upon arrival? I know I have. In the time I was driving, I was so preoccupied with my thoughts of the day that I missed out on everything in between. We can be creatures of habit. Sometimes driving a different route, parking in a different space, or even sitting in a different pew at church can help us take notice and have a new appreciation.

I enjoy long-distance running and often feel closest to God during some of these runs. When I was 25 years old and married less than one year, I developed blood clots throughout my leg and was hospitalized for three weeks. Upon discharge, I had to learn to walk again. Those were some of my darkest days. It was easy to give up hope, but I was determined to make a full recovery and do all the activities I enjoyed once again.

Although it took time and a lot of training, I ran my first marathon in 2003. I’ve run many races of varied distances since then. Last month, I ran a half marathon in Wisconsin. A couple of weeks ago, I ran a 15k in Chicago with my twin sister and niece.
One recent Sunday morning, I ran in the rain before church. I splashed through puddles and felt the cool wet rain on my face. I listened to the soft melody of drops hitting the ground around me. I saw squirrels and birds nestled in the trees. The rain drops tasted salty as they ran down my face and into my mouth. I smelled the lingering aroma of bacon cooked in a nearby kitchen. My water-logged shoes became heavy as I reached my destination.

Each step that I take when I run, I am mindful of God’s presence in my life and appreciate God's creation around me. I hope in each step you take this Advent season, you can take time out to be mindful of what Advent means for you.

Deb James is a mental health counselor.