Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Such potential

Years ago, during another of those times of reoccurring conflict and trouble in the world, someone voiced the opinion that they felt sorry for our kids, and those of their generation. They opined that things are far more complicated than the revered “good ole days,” that these kids will never have the chance to live simpler, and meaningful lives. The implication was that the world is on its way to becoming unfit to inhabit, a place of little hope for this generation’s youth.

Just a few weeks ago, I observed our son walking from behind a curtain and was transformed in the moment. At the time, I was thinking about the young boy and anticipating what I would see, and out walked a young man. The juxtaposition was quick to catch me by surprise. Later reflecting on the moment, I felt intense emotion. Yes, in part, it was about longing again for the days when he was a boy. But, it was also a moment filled with pride, in his accomplishments and in realizing the depth of respect I feel for his convictions. My thoughts carried me to the reality that he is far from alone in living the type of life he pursues. The passion and conviction, we see it in his circle of friends, his peers, and in youth far outside of our immediate social boundaries.

I have always found comfort in the fact that God has an important relevancy in my life. As I regularly look for affirmation, I seek evidence of our potential, of our goodness, and trust hope for guidance. With the news and the distractions that continue to intercede into our lives, youth are the light that shines to fill us with the hope of the season. These are children of God; possessing such potential, and so capable of guiding our world into its future. I feel God’s relevancy and embrace this season as a time of abundant hope.

Scott Teasdale shares his life in Davenport with Cynthia, Thompson, and Linnea.