Friday, December 12, 2014

The gift of an angel

Four months ago on a beautiful Saturday evening my family prepared for the long awaited surprise 40th anniversary party for my in-laws. Guests were in transit and my husband was running a last minute errand. I was home alone with our two children making final preparations when the fire alarm went off. I sent the children to the front porch and managed to put out a kitchen fire, but not without severe injury to both my legs.   

My life was too busy for this set back. My husband was starting a new job in two days and coaching football, my oldest child was starting school in two days and my youngest was home. I was scared, in horrible pain, depressed, stressed and determined to take care of myself and everyone else somehow. I am private and not comfortable with vulnerability and accepting help from others. I didn't want anyone to see me this way. 

Within a few days of my accident in a weak moment I confessed to a dear friend. She does not accept no easily and insisted on coming over and taking care of me. I was mortified and embarrassed and holding on to my pride. She came not just once or twice, but for weeks. She left her chiropractic practice between patients each day and came to my home. She sterilized my bathroom, cleaned and medicated wounds, got groceries, did laundry, picked up kids and took me to doctor appointments. She took time away from her own family, responsibilities and personal needs to be there for me. I was broken, could hardly walk, in physical and emotional pain beyond anything I can adequately describe. I needed her and my family needed her, and she was there. 

She was our Angel.

The humility and servitude that I have experienced during this most difficult chapter of my life from my dear husband, family, friends and the St. Paul community and staff is one that I will forever treasure. 

Jesus was born in a humble barn. Heaven came down to earth, but when it did, it came in humility. Our God honors those who are willing to humble themselves and serve others.  Jesus said he did not come to this world to be served, but rather to serve us.


Amanda Landers-Each is a former NYC Marathon event planner and now a stay-at-home mom.