Monday, December 2, 2013

A Christmas in Germany


"Stille nacht, heilige nacht" is the opening line to one of the most famous Christmas carols, Silent Night, in German. This age-old treasured song just happens to be my favorite during the Advent season. Maybe it is because it brings back such fabulous memories of living near Salzburg in Berchtesgaden, Germany, when I was 9 years old.  It is here that I learned to ski in the Alps and adore snow-laden Christmas eves.

As I researched this song's humble beginnings, I learned Josef Mohr was an assistant pastor at St. Nicholas Church in Oberndorf, a village near Salzburg. Walking back to his house one night near Christmas, Josef looked down on the peaceful snow-covered village. 

A young Annie Stern celebrates Christmas
He was reflecting on the story of the birth of Jesus and he remembered a poem that he had written. It was about when the angels announced the birth of the Messiah to shepherds on a hillside. Josef went to his church organist, Franz Xaver Gruber, the next day and Franz wrote the music for his poem. Interestingly enough, this first melody for Silent Night was written for a guitar because the church organ was broken. 

On Christmas Eve in 1818, Josef and Franz sang this beautiful song to the accompanying single guitar.

Flash forward 144 years later on Christmas Eve to a town near Salzburg. I sat beside my mom holding her hand and clutching my little white candle at our 30-member Armed Forces church. Our church was outside of town and sat at the base of huge mountains in the Alps. As we left our evening service, the snow was coming down and it truly seemed like the night Jesus was born.

I know that my faith has grown and evolved since that snowy night in Berchtesgaden, Germany. But like then, I am wide-eyed and profoundly moved by the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ.

This Christmas Eve, I will hold my daughter's and new grandaughter's hands as we celebrate at St. Paul. And yes, I will sing with gratitude and praise... all is calm, all is bright.