Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Carnival Glass Tea Cups

In the final months of her life, my Grandma Kate asked this question: Will the dear ones in my family, the ones I love so much, remember me once I have gone?

Carnival glass tea cup
She had little material wealth. So Grandma Kate went to a household auction.

My cousin Barry and I were known as the “twin cousins.” Even though we lived miles apart, we were Grandma Kate’s grandchildren born just hours apart.

I do not know how she answered her question for every child and grandchild of hers. But for Barry and me, she purchased two budget-priced carnival glass tea cups. She gave each of us a beautifully colored cup.

This was in the late 1960s. Recently, at a family funeral, Barry asked me if I still had my cup. Of course, I told him. It sits in a place of prominence on my desk. The inscription says: “From a friend.”

When I look at that cup, I often reflect upon how personal her gift of love became to both Barry and me.

As I ponder the magnitude of her gift, my mind moves to God’s supreme gift of love to us – God’s very own son, Jesus Christ. Surely, no gift could be more personal than one’s own child.

Grandma’s gift also reminds me of Jesus’ words of communion at his last supper: “Do this for the remembrance of me.” Jesus could have easily used Grandma’s inscription on his communion cup: “From a Friend.”

Craig Hellyer is married to Lindy. They live in Davenport.