Sunday, December 15, 2013

Gratitude jar

"Ten times a day something happens to me like this - some strengthening throb of amazement - some good sweet empathic ping and swell. This is the first, the wildest and the wisest thing I know: that the soul exists and is built entirely out of attentiveness." - Mary Oliver

The Hull family's Gratitude Jar
My days can fly by with nothing of significance noted or named. But a reading of David Steindal-Rast's Common Sense Spirituality rekindled my sense of gratitude. I started naming what was right before me, what I had been missing all along. I recorded these blessings in a journal. Strange, but I now find my days are less 
hectic and more calm.
   
A sampling of my December 2012 list:
  1. Gentle dance of white pine needles in the breeze...dares one to touch the softness...
  2. Wonderful group of confirmation guys...love every one of them...
  3. Song of the chickadee..."Praise God, Praise God..."
  4. Babysitting my little girls...Christmas spirit with jingle bells...
  5. Ladies' party...lots of chatter and smiles...
  6. Decorated Christmas tree...spectacular brightness in the dark...calming...
  7. The smell of gingerbread cookies fill the house...evokes memories...
  8. Snow...winter beauty...Christmas lights are magically transformed...
  9. Sky at dusk, a marbled midnight blue...wish that I could pull it down like gossamer and make myself a dress...maybe with one star...
  10. Lovely cardinals on bird feeder...

For this Christmas season, I placed a "Gratitude Jar" upon the kitchen table. My family and I are filling it with new blessings: a memory, a growth, a hope, wisdom gleaned from a Bible reading, something funny, something quiet, a sadness shared, a milestone reached, perhaps even a forgotten family memory renewed once again. 

On Christmas Day, when we empty the contents of the gratitude jar, I wonder: what we will find?

Priscilla Hull is a wife and mom of two grown sons.