Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas anticipation

On Christmas Eve, I love the brisk walk out of church, followed by the shivering requests that the heat be turned on in the car. Watching the snow fall on the car window, my heart swells with joy and I think about how wonderful it is to hear the same Christmas songs every year. I feel like a small child, wanting so badly for it to be Christmas morning.

Marah Tews
At home, setting the nativity scene, I think about what happened on Christmas Eve long ago. With great care, we put all of the nativity figurines in their places. A note on the wall calendar reminds us which sister is the lucky one to put Baby Jesus in his crib on Christmas morning.

The morning of, I can hardly eat breakfast because of the excitement of the Christmas spirit. As the day goes on, I grow even more grateful for my family and friends, especially as we make phone calls to those whose presence we miss so much.

On Christmas day, we remember that God gave us God's son, Jesus Christ, and all of the people we hold dear. I like to think of Christmas as a time to strengthen relationships with God and with family and friends. It is why, when Christmas is over, I can hardly wait for next year.

Marah Tews is a sophomore at Pleasant Valley High School.