Sunday, December 8, 2013

Christmas in Heaven

Have you ever thought about what Christmas must be like in heaven? I'm sure it's a spectacular celebration full of wondrous sights and sounds. My guess is that every tree looks like one from The Festival of Trees, and every Christmas cookie is impeccably decorated.

My mom will be spending her third Christmas in heaven this year. The Christmas and Advent season was her favorite, and she always decorated the house to the gills. Her spirit was always full and bright - she truly lit up a room with her joyfulness.   

Nicole's mom, holding newborn granddaughter Sage

The night after she passed (Dec. 13), I sat on the couch with my newborn daughter and my 4-year-old son watching The Polar Express. My son was captivated by the movie. I was lost in thought as I looked into my daughter's eyes. As the Christmas tree lights twinkled in the eyes of my precious miracle, this is what came to mind:

How amazing for my mom to be able to spend Christmas in heaven this year. And she's going to be there just in time to help finish decorating. I'm sure she will be teaching the angels a decorating tip or two. Heaven will be a little brighter this year.

Christmas has never been the same without my mom...and never will be. But I am calm and peaceful, knowing that she is spending her Christmases in heaven.

Christmas In Heaven
Lysandra Kay Bencke

I see the countless Christmas trees around the world below with tiny lights, like Heaven's stars, reflecting in the snow.
The sight is so spectacular, please wipe away the tear.
For I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.
I hear the many Christmas songs that people hold so dear.
But the sounds of music can't compare with the choir up here.
I have no words to tell you, the joy their voices bring, for it is beyond description, to hear the angels sing.
I know how much you miss me; I see the pain inside your heart.
But I am not so far away, we really aren't apart.
So be happy for me, dear ones, you know I hold you dear.
And be glad I'm spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.
I sent you each a special gift, from my heavenly home above.
I sent you each a memory of my undying love.
After all, love is a gift more precious than pure gold.
It was always most important in the stories Jesus told.
Please love and keep each other, as God said to do, for I can't count the blessings or love God has for each of you.
So have a Merry Christmas and wipe away that tear.
Remember, I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

Nicole Rathje is a mom and wife, and works at Palmer College of Chiropractic in advancement services.

Click here to receive daily Advent devotions, written by St. Paul people, by email.