Monday, December 23, 2013

Station wagon trip

My father served in the Navy, and as a result, I spent my childhood years moving from place to place. Visiting our grandparents and extended family back in Ohio required long road trips. My brothers, sister, and I were not only excited about seeing our relatives, but we also looked forward with great anticipation to the bounty of such a trip: bologna and cheese sandwiches packed in the cooler, actual cans of soda pop, and my mother's monkey bread. 

Deb and her family
Before mini-vans and SUVs, the station wagon was the family vehicle of choice. Seat belts were not yet a safety feature, so we hopped seat-to-seat and fought to be the lucky ones in the back. One particular trip remains a vivid memory for me. 

We were driving from California to Ohio, and it was well past midnight. My father (for reasons I later understood when I became a parent) wanted to drive through the night as my four younger siblings and mother slept. Being the night owl and not often having dad to myself, I climbed over the back seat and made my way to the front bench to "help" him drive. 

Oh, the joy of being the privileged one to sit in the front seat! The brilliance of the night sky created a glow that led us down the highway. The wind quietly whistled past the windows. We softly sang along to the radio as I snuggled into the warmth of my father's strong arm. The miles flew by. The serenity, comfort, and love from my father in that old station wagon that night keeps me wrapped in his arms to this day.

God wraps us up just the same through the gift of a son, this true light in the world. God wraps us in God's arms, bringing serenity, comfort, and love through Jesus Christ, all of our days.


Deb Kretschmer is a daughter, wife, mother, teacher.