Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Little Things

Ornaments from Melanie's Christmas tree

The Christmas lights twinkle
Dancing amidst the darkness
Illuminating the street where I walk

Snow cascades down
Keeping the night quiet and peaceful
Coming to rest gently on my shoulders.

I glance to my right
As a house shines bright
So warm and inviting.
I hear the sound of Christmas music
Trickling through the front door.

I smile as I continue on towards my own home,
The cold nipping at my nose,
Yet all I can feel is warmth.

I open the door and step inside
Warm air seeping through my body.
I turn on my fireplace and prepare a nice cup of hot cocoa.
Grabbing a blanket, I finally sit by the fireside.
The looming 10 foot Christmas tree glows brightly
Fully decorated with shiny ornaments and colorful lights
Standing still and full in my company.
Taking a deep breath, my face turns to look outside into the night

Snow cascades down
Keeping the night quiet and peaceful
Coming to rest gently onto the lawn.
I can’t help but smile as the glorious moment
Lets my heart beat joyously in God’s embrace.
For the little things this Christmas season are the things I hold most dear. 

Melanie Kessler, a high school student, is a member at St. Paul.