Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Candlelight

I attended Valparaiso University to earn my undergraduate degree. Valpo is an independent Lutheran school and offers various church services inside its beautiful chapel. Candlelight, as it is referred to by students and staff, is a weekly Sunday night service of Holden Evening Prayer via candlelight.  

"Let my prayer rise up like incense before you, the lifting up of my hands as an offering to you." (Psalmody)

The service begins with the lights of the chapel darkened, with the exception of a few large flickering candles - a perfect calm in the midst of the craziness of college life. During the opening hymn, the leader's flames are passed to the white candles held by those in attendance. Within three quick verses, the chapel is illuminated, but still surrounded by darkness above and around the group. Calm and bright in a perfect collaboration.

"Joyous light of heavenly glory, loving glow of God's own face, you who sing creation's story, shine on every land and race." (Evening Hymn)

After the sermon, the liturgy continues with The Magnificat. The words of The Magnificat are among my favorite in the Bible. Here is Mary who just received some stress-provoking news, praising and thanking God. "You have looked with love on your servant here, and blessed me all my life through." These powerful words bring me comfort in distress and thankfulness in prosperity. Each week the service ends with sharing of the peace. A realization that students of various Christian faiths can worship together. A realization that Christians all over the world follow this same liturgy. Calm and bright.

"... May the Spirit of Love be our guide and path, for all of our days." 
(Final Blessing)

I looked forward to and planned for Candlelight each week - a weekly hour of calm and bright. I often entered the chapel feeling stressed about a class or a boy or a friendship, but departed with a feeling of comfort and peace. I looked forward to the relaxation and comfort I knew I would feel at its conclusion. My anxiety was forgotten and my community of friends was strengthened. I experienced the calm and bright of God's love.

Rachel Evans works in the nonprofit industry and loves Valpo basketball.